isardSAT Group (also known as isardSAT) is a group of R&D SMEs providing, since 2006, engineering and scientific remote sensing answers to its clients with special attention to altimetry and passive microwave missions. isardSAT Group is composed of isardSAT, S.L., Barcelona headquarters and a fully owned subsidiary, isardSAT Ltd., in Guildford.
isardSAT is involved in the design, calibration, and maintenance of civil remote sensing instruments, ranging from the development of algorithms for data processing to calibration after launch and maintenance of the instrument’s hardware until decommissioning, and is continuously improving its processing software well after that decommissioning phase.
While isardSAT’s core expertise is the development of ground processing algorithms to process microwave instruments data, it also performs studies for scientific applications with the data obtained by Earth Observation instruments, such as for hydrological applications.
isardSAT has a wide experience successfully managing complex technical projects lasting several years as can be inferred from the increasing number of ESA-awarded projects since the company creation.
The student will join the team working on SAR altimetry calibration and validation. isardSAT is performing calibration and validation activities for Sentinel-3, CryoSat-2, and the recently launched Sentinel-6 altimeters data. In the framework of these activities, isardSAT proposes an internship to work in activities, such as:
- refinement of algorithms for the instrumental calibration of Sentinel-3 and Sentinel-6,
- the automatisation of instrumental calibration monitoring,
- validation activities of coastal retracking algorithms with in-situ data, and
- validation of range measurements over inland waters (reservoirs, rivers, lakes…) obtained from Fully-Focussed SAR (FF-SAR), improving the along-track resolution from current operational ~300 m provided by Delay-Doppler techniques to sub-meter levels.
Depending on the final choice of the activity, a Bachelor’s thesis (TFG) or Master’s thesis (TFM) is possible.
To be considered for this position, you must have:
- Telecommunications Engineering studies, or similar (Bachelor or Master)
- Interest in Remote Sensing and in Earth Observation
- Good grades in Signal Processing
- Good knowledge of Python and/or MatLab
- Good level of English (written and oral)
Barcelona (Barcelona Activa – Parc Tecnològic), partially remotely during Covid-19.
Please send your CV and a cover letter until 15 December 2021 via email to Ester.Vendrell@isardSAT.cat, CC info@isardSAT.cat, including the position reference.